Friday, January 23, 2009

More Songs from the Top Ten Island List...


The next installment in my list of the ten songs - and only ten - I would have on my iPod when stranded on a deserted island. If you're not checking out Adam's list too, Do It. This couple of songs I am truly still wowed by and listen to often but are loved nostagically too...these go back a couple years for me.


6) Tom Tom Club - 'Wordy Rappinghood'

Really the first 2 T.T Club albums are incredible. This is one of my favorite songs of theirs and one that would be fun to sing along with really loud on the beach (seeing as how I'd be alone and all esp.). Chris Frantz and Tina Weymouth from the Talking Heads, Adrian Belew, and a bunch of others went to the Bahamas in the early 80's - right after the Heads Remain in Light came out and recorded the extremely fun Tom Tom Club album. The tunes are goofy but the musicianship is great...the second side of the album is actually a lot more atmospheric and dark, similar sound but like they did the second side late, late at night or something.
I picked this up on vinyl in Jr. High, probably 8th grade, and still have it today...and still put it on every month or so (much to Emily's astonished chagrin). I also Highly recommend their second one, Close to the Bone.

The video, I'll admit, is a bit much - don't be too distracted by the blinding neon or the tight moves...




5) Sonic Youth - 'Shadow of a Doubt'

Had to have a Sonic Youth song on this list and, out of all the incredible ones over the past 26 years!, this remains one of my faves. I picked up EVOL, the album its on, when it first came out in 1986 after I saw the video on Night Flight (I hope people remember this great show)...and I still have it too (on cassette).
This song has Kim singing, which I love, and has everything I love/evol about SY - the slow burning tension, the release and cacophany, the simmering undercurrent of menace, sex, violence, and beauty.
Plus, the first thing I did when I moved to Mpls. was go to the Sonic Youth outdoor show at the Walker. Walking down the hill on Groveland and hearing the first chords of Schizophrenia and later meeting the Choses (just Nicole and Chose back then) and going to the Red Dragon for mega-drinks...good times!

1 comment:

  1. I am shamed by the lack of SY on my list. EVOL is a CLASSIC album. SY laid groundwork that they never planned on laying. I will always have a secret crush on Kim Gordon.

    ReplyDelete